There is no debate in saying that 2017 has been another great year for eCommerce entrepreneurs and marketers. The online business industry has gone through a number of major developments helping internet to stay relevant and inspiring. Moreover, online retailers are also pushing hard towards customer centricity in an attempt to cut through the noise and clutter. Some retailers are even talking about same day deliveries and drone shipping. However, in the greater digital realm, the eCommerce is still in infancy, but over the horizon, there are a lot of opportunities and a promising future as new features are being explored at an incredible speed.
This exponential expansion of the online business industry has also brought new challenges for marketers. There is an intense competition for survival as new websites are pouring into the internet every minute. A website that fails to meet the demands and expectations of its target audience will automatically get crumbled. Where this increasing competition is still a dilemma, the rise in multi-device content consumption has emerged as one of the biggest challenges for marketers.
The Changing Dynamics
You can now access the internet on a bundle of devices. There are desktops, Smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles, e-readers, etc. Even the Televisions can now be connected to the internet directly or via other devices. In the infographic below, compiled by GO-Gulf, a web development company based in Dubai, you can see that 70% of all media interactions are screen based. Today, more than 70% of internet users access the internet on multiple devices. This has turned modern day marketing into more of a catch me if you can game. The customers are shifting screens, jumping between the lines and marketers have to navigate the pattern of customer behavior.
Entrepreneurs are believed to be fanatic with their creation and implementation. Smart entrepreneurs see multi device content consumption as a new room for opportunities. You have now more devices and more platforms to target your customers. The best thing is the opportunity to personalize and localize the content campaigns to target the right person at the right time at the right place.
However, if you want this marketing strategy to work more efficiently, you must learn to “improvise, adapt and overcome.”
Here are some tips to tackle the potential obstacles,
- Try to build a unique relationship with customers. Learn more about your target audience to find out more about their preferred devices and platforms.
- Provide a seamless user experience on all possible devices. The speed, the UX, and the UI must be optimum across all viewports.
- More people access the internet on smartphones compared to all other devices. This means that a mobile friendly web design is no longer an option, it’s a must-have.
- Take social media to your advantage. Social media platform provide flexibility, and you can optimize your marketing efforts on all devices.
- Bridge the gap between the devices so that customers can easily complete the buying process while they are sequentially screening between the devices.
Checkout the infographic below for more interesting statistics:
Asad Ali is a seasoned digital marketer with a work experience of more than 7 years in serving the eCommerce and web design industries. His expertise in implementing purposeful marketing strategies, user experience & eCommerce SEO has allowed him to work for some of the noble companies including GO-Gulf Dubai that is a premium web design company. You can reach him on LinkedIn.