Bristow is an unincorporated community of Prince William County in Northern Virginia about 30 miles from Washington, DC. In 2014, Bristow's postal area population was 29,346, a 287% increase since 2000; however, the Bristow community is formally included in the Linton Hall, Virginia census-designated place (CDP).
Bristow is home to Jiffy Lube Live outdoor concert stage which was formerly known as the Nissan Pavilion.
Bristow was voted "Best Place for Homeownership in Virginia" by the Nerd Wallet.
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,910 people, 2,964 housing units, and 9,188 families residing in the town. The racial makeup of the town was 87.62% White, 6.73% Black, 2.57% Asian, 0.18% Native American, 0.12% Pacific Islander, and 1.04% from other races. Hispanic people of any race were 3.86% of the population.
The area is mostly upper-middle-class residential managed communities including Braemar Community, Bridlewood, Bridlewood Manor, Brookside, Crossman Creek, Foxborough, Kingsbrooke, New Bristow Village, Lanier Farms, Saybrooke, Sheffield Manor, Amberleigh Station, and Victory Lakes.
The majority of the Bristow Area was previously part of the Linton's Ford plantation, owned by the Linton family from the 18th century. In 1894, Sarah Linton converted to Catholicism and became a Benedictine nun, and she donated the property to the Roman Catholic Church, to be used to establish schools for poor girls and boys.
Linton Hall Military School was founded in 1922, for which the main road was named: Linton Hall Road. In 1989, the school ended its military and boarding programs and became coeducational; it had already been renamed Linton Hall School many years earlier. In the late 20th century, much of the original property was sold to developers.
Population increased in the Bristow area, and increased enrollment for the school.
The Linton family (with the exception of Sarah) are buried in the Linton Family Cemetery in the Braemar Community. The cemetery is legally unowned due to a loss of records when the Brentsville Courthouse burned in the Civil War. However, maintenance is provided by the Braemar Community Association with coordination with the Benedictine Sisters at Linton Hall.